Thursday, 15 April 2010

Hang ‘Em – Great campaign, TERRIBLE name.

Nutwood North MP, Dr Rupert Bear.






















Before anyone assumes fatherhood has destroyed my mind, I still don’t believe in the death penalty.

More importantly, despite leaving Easton for the land of dairy farms and miniature Nuremberg rallies,* I have yet to take up lynching as a way of making friends.

Disclaimers aside, I'm writing to flag up an interesting campaign called Hang 'em, which is working for a hung parliament in the UK General Election.

The idea is that a workable Tory or Labour majority won't deliver the change this country needs - in particular reform of the voting system and the House of Lords. While the Lib Dems and some of the smaller parties are committed to electoral reform, there's little chance of them forming a government under the present system. The best way to get these issues onto the agenda is to do what you can to achieve a hung parliament in which the largest party will need to do deals with the minority parties.

Happily my 'Hang 'em Candidate' is Brian Mathew, an impeccably liberal candidate I already planned to vote for as the candidate most likely to unseat foul, expenses-snaffling Tory uber-hawk Liam Fox.

Here's an excellent article by Hang 'Em founder Anthony Barnett. It explains the aims of the campaign much better than I could.

*Note to fellow pub-goers in North Somerset: I understand The Bungalow has recently come under new management. This is almost certainly good news.

1 comment:

Blood Red Sounds said...

Liam Fox held Somerset North and is now Defence Secretary in the new coalition government.

I'm sure there's a silver lining here somewhere - if anyone spots it let me know.